BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host

2009-03-10 13:42:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:36:10 -0500
Peter Walter wrote:
> I checked the cpool directory on my server and it contained 803,023
> files in the directory tree. If rsync is not a scaleable solution for
> backing up a backuppc pool over the internet, does anyone have a
> suggestion for a better solution?

What matters more is how many links you have to these files in the pc
tree.  Rsync may work for you if you have plenty of ram and use the
latest version.  If it doesn't, I'm not sure if there are any
alternatives that will work over the internet.  There are several
approaches to making a local image copy of the partition, but even those
don't scale well to archives that won't fit on an external drive.

In some cases you can just let an independent offsite copy of backuppc
run through a vpn.