BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host

2009-03-10 17:38:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:31:29 +0100
Hi Peter,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 02:15:56PM -0400, Peter Walter wrote:

> All I have access to is "cloud storage" offsite - running a remote
> backuppc server is not an option. Basically, I have access to rsync /
> sftp / scp as file transfer protocols. What do you think about running a
> directory change monitor based upon the Linux kernel inotify() facility,
> such as fsniper or gamin, then triggering a rsync script to synchronize
> only the directories that have changed?

Well, then you should be using some distributed file system like
glusterfs, ocfs2 etc. The above approach will work as long as the
monitor is alive. If it crashes, you're basically where you are now: In
need to rsync a huge pool with keeping hardlinks intact.

I'd rather have no data than expected-to-be-good-but-inconsistent data -
the latter might worsen your scenario since you've depended on it.

It might be possible to rsync just the pool (and tell rsync to ignore
hardlinks), then use BackupPC_tarPCcopy to create TAR files for recently
(or most important) backed up machines. But the longer I think about it,
the more complicated it appears to be to get right, especially all
corner cases (expired backups etc.)

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de