BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host

2009-03-09 21:07:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host
From: "David Lasker" <dave AT altosdesign DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:03:37 -0700
I recently set up my first (and only) BackupPC server. I use Mike Rubel's
rsync "snapshot" mechanism (see
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/) to back up the entire
server, including the BackupPC pool, to a local hard disk drive. I take a
new snapshot on a daily basis. It looks to me like each daily snapshot is
taking about 2 to 3% of the total pool space. This leads me to believe that
most pool files are not changing, unless the underlying data changes. So,
although I have never tried it, I would have thought rsync of the pool to a
remote machine might be doable. It would need a fast network due to the
large pool size.

Is there a problem with my approach?

Thanks for the help!

Dave