BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] error in FAQ about Removing a client (BackupsDisable)

2009-03-10 13:49:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] error in FAQ about Removing a client (BackupsDisable)
From: Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:43:48 -0400
Hi Marthter

marthter wrote:
> The FAQ still talks about setting FullPeriod to -1 or -2 to disable
> backups instead of the newer method of setting BackupsDisable to 1 or 2:
>
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#other_installation_topics

You're correct that it needs to be modified, but AFAIK that document
isn't referred to as the FAQ, just the documentation. It is correct in
the $Conf{BackupsDisable} section, just not in the one you refer to.

> Also there is (at least the appearance of) a bit of a passing-the-buck
> problem here between the FAQ and the wiki:
>
> The FAQ http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ says "The FAQ has been
> replaced by the wiki [link].  These pages are no longer being updated".

This is on the FAQ page, not the documentation page. The FAQ isn't
updated any more, but AFAIK the documentation is.

> However the wiki http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/ says "This wiki
> is not intended to replace the excellent BackupPC documentation [link to
> FAQ]".

It doesn't actually link to the FAQ, even though it is in the same
directory.

> Clearly these are contradictory and cannot both be right.  Where should
> the above correction about BackupsDisable be made, and who can make it?
> and which is the current view on which documentation location is
> accurate, and who can correct that?

Craig updates the documentation, so we can get him to fix it.

Cody