BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host

2009-03-10 16:11:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPc host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:04:11 -0500
Peter Walter wrote:
> Les,
>
> All I have access to is "cloud storage" offsite - running a remote
> backuppc server is not an option. Basically, I have access to rsync /
> sftp / scp as file transfer protocols. What do you think about running a
> directory change monitor based upon the Linux kernel inotify() facility,
> such as fsniper or gamin, then triggering a rsync script to synchronize
> only the directories that have changed?

First, you should just try rsync and see if it works with your equipment
and the scale you need.

With offsite backups you are really trying to protect against a site
disaster.  If rsync won't work, you need to evaluate what you'd really
want to restore in that scenario - or if you would just cash the
insurance check and find another business.   You might pick the
important targets and just rsync them directly from the source hosts -
you'll waste some space but shouldn't have any other issues.  Or, just
buy a big SATA drive and hang it on a computer somewhere with cablemodem
speeds.

    lesemikesell AT gmail DOT com