BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted

2008-12-21 15:37:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:35:19 +0200
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Johan Ehnberg wrote at about 16:54:48 +0200 on Friday, December 19, 2008:
>  >
>  > > Do you need anything more than the following one-liner to initiate a
> backup
>  > >    ssh backuppc@backuppcserver
> /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg ba\
>  > > ckup $hostname
>  > >
>  > > or similar variants using other server messages or the raw program,
> BackupPC_dump
>  >
>  > That server message does not exist in 3.0.0 nor in 3.1.0, and that's
>  > part of the challenge. Using dump works but is bad for scheduling and
>  > requires automatic backups to be disabled and scheduling handled by the
>  > client.
>
> It is in 3.1.0 at least - I use it all the time.

I have now checked a 3.0.0 debian package, the recent 3.1.0 bpo debian
package as well as the ChangeLog of the official 3.1.0 release and can't
find this documented nor working from the command line. I've even
skimmed through the code of the official 3.1.0 one installation and seen
no such functionality (however, I can't say I would write perl myself).

Can you tell me how you got it? Which package are you using? Or vanilla
install from sf.net? I'd like to make use of it.

Or did you mean the full form which forces a backup?:
BackupPC_serverMesg backup HOSTIP HOST USER 0/1

The kind of functionality that would be of use is a "smart" queuing
command which makes use of scheduling information etc.

/johan