BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted

2008-12-23 05:17:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted
From: "Paul Mantz" <pcmantz AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:15:01 -0800
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 7:00 PM, dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Ideally, we should write LDAP or AD(or both) authentication into the
> backuppc web interface.  You wouldnt really have to limit access to any
> users as the hosts file handles restricing users to hosts.  You could put a
> flag in the directory that a user is a backuppc user and have the
> authentication check that.  Any user that logged in that was not setup for
> backups wouldnt see any hosts anyway.
>
> If this was PHP I could do this myself but it is not.

I've thought about this and I feel that the cleanest way to implement
this is in the webserver, outside of BackupPC's core functionality.

BackupPC Community Edition deals with web access in the same way as
the Red Hat and Fedora packagers do; in the packaging.  One can edit
the provided backuppc_community.conf file (or BackupPC.conf file) that
is installed in the /etc/httpd/conf.d folder (for redhat-derivative
distros, /etc/apache2/conf.d for suse, etc...) and substitute htaccess
authentication for something that relied on mod_ldap, or something
else instead.

One thing I would like to flesh out more is the server message system,
and decouple it from the web interface, so that the web interface can
be run on the same computer under mod_perl without having to be the
backuppc user.  In this situation, it would make more sense to add
more authentication than a shared secret between the web interface and
host, but right now that's all the authentication that makes sense in
the BackupPC code.

As far as backups are concerned though; one of the items on my to-do
list is to add functionality to add a host to the BgQueue.  I haven't
tested the 1 vs. 4 argument BackupPC_serverMesg call extensively, but
I will do so in the morning and see about adding a patch if Holger
doesn't beat me to it :-)

Adios,

---
Paul Mantz