BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted

2008-12-19 11:30:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:27:59 +0200
Hi!

Thanks for your answer!

To follow up on earlier implementations, I understand they are similar
in design, but is there any documentation? Maybe the critical point is
to get it written down and thought through so it's easy to use and all
variants are designed with security in mind.

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Johan Ehnberg wrote:
>> I'm working on a way to allow client-initiated backups using SSH.
>
> Do you mean you require ssh for tunneling?  Otherwise if you have logins
> for the owners of the clients, they can use the web interface to start a
> backup.

SSH for starting the backup and optionally for tunneling, as it is no
effort. In this context, a client is the computer, the user is the
person using it. And my goal is automation. However, I realized that
when using client initiated tunnels, the web start is broken. But that's
just a feature change.

>> I have
>> a few variants working already, and I will make the documentation public
>> soon. For this, your ideas on a few topics would be very much appreciated:
>>
>> - Any earlier implementations I should know about?
>
> I thought someone posted a scheme where clients connect via ssh,
> specifying a forwarding port to allow the server to reach them some time
> ago.

Yes I vaguely remember that. Kind of the VPN-idea I had to just leave
the tunnel there.

>> - Features you would like to see?
>> - Specific use cases that could be covered?
>> - Anything you want to know from me?
>
> What happens if all of the clients initiate a backup at once?

Depends on variant. Passive "vpn" - nothing, queue - normal rush hour
handled by BackupPC, dump - hell is loose but it should pass...
Oh, and the idea is of course to allocate a unique port for each client
when tunneling, so no mistakes about who's being backed up.

Regards,
Johan

--
Johan Ehnberg