BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted

2008-12-19 11:19:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Client initiated backups, input wanted
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:17:14 +0200
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Johan Ehnberg wrote at about 16:54:48 +0200 on Friday, December 19, 2008:
>  >
>  > > Do you need anything more than the following one-liner to initiate a
> backup
>  > >    ssh backuppc@backuppcserver
> /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg ba\
>  > > ckup $hostname
>  > >
>  > > or similar variants using other server messages or the raw program,
> BackupPC_dump
>  >
>  > That server message does not exist in 3.0.0 nor in 3.1.0, and that's
>  > part of the challenge. Using dump works but is bad for scheduling and
>  > requires automatic backups to be disabled and scheduling handled by the
>  > client.
>
> It is in 3.1.0 at least - I use it all the time.

That's weird, I'm using a backported 3.1.0 package in debian and getting

backuppc@server:~$ /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_serverMesg backup
client.domain.tld
Got reply: error: bad command backup client.domain.tld

>  >
>  > However, I am hoping it will be included to make things easier. If it is
>  > implemented somewhere I'd like to know :)
>  >

>  > Also, the other thing the solution has to cover is security. Giving
>  > clients passwordless access to the backuppc user is not an alternative
>  > for most people, as it would in most cases give full access to all other
>  > clients.
>
> There are a lot of potential solutions here.
> An easy one might be to just give clients access to a dummy account
> and then use sudo on the backuppc server to allow them to run a fixed
> (limited) set of commands as user backuppc -- i.e. allow them to pass
> (some or all) server messages to BackupPC

That's what I'm doing now, with an easy system to manage per-client keys
so that any compromised key can be revoked (and it never was much danger
either).

Thanks for your answer!