BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc

2008-12-19 12:18:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:16:33 -0700
You can backup over ssh tunnels to provide encryption.  read my previous post on client initiated backups.  This works for server initiated backups also.  They security isnt an issue.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu> wrote:
Hi Anandx,

anandx wrote:

>> There is a cygwin+rsync package available on the backuppc sourceforge
>> site, which can make it very easy to install rsyncd. If you don't need
>> rsync for anything else, and are happy to use rsyncd instead of
>> rsync+ssh, then I've found this to be a good solution.
>>
> Saw the package, and after reading the readme, it sure wouldn't be a problem to install it. I have a question on this, enabling the rsyncd on windows machine, does it arise any security issues of any kind ?

Yes, rsyncd doesn't encrypt the file transfer and the authentication is
less secure than ssh. You can allay these by setting up rsyncd to only
allow local connections and then using an ssh tunnel for the transfer.
For a guide, see http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

 > Btw any ideas if Backuppc can be configured to backup certain hosts
at different intervals and certain at different ? Basically i want a
machine to be backed up daily and keep 7 days backup, then 4 weekly
backups and no monthly and then another one, i only want the monthly
backups.

Absolutely. The schedule settings in the CGI interface allow easy
individual client settings for full backups: FullPeriod (time between
backups) and FullKeepCnt (the number of backups to keep, which can be
exponential over time). Similar settings are for incremental backups.

Cody