BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] new to backuppc

2008-12-19 11:37:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc
From: anandx <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:33:19 -0500

Adam Goryachev wrote:

> anandx wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any newbie guide to setup backuppc ? I wish to setup the
> > same on centos5.2 server.
> >

> Did you read the documentation, and/or the wiki? There is plenty of very
> helpful information and howto's available...

I did try that, however it looked there are way too many options ;) Anyways i
am still going through them

> > I guess on all the windows nodes, i would need to install
> > cygwin+rsync.
> >

> There is a cygwin+rsync package available on the backuppc sourceforge
> site, which can make it very easy to install rsyncd. If you don't need
> rsync for anything else, and are happy to use rsyncd instead of
> rsync+ssh, then I've found this to be a good solution.

Saw the package, and after reading the readme, it sure wouldn't be a problem to
install it. I have a question on this, enabling the rsyncd on windows machine,
does it arise any security issues of any kind ?

> > But how does the client initiate the backups ?
> >

> The client can initiate backups using the web interface, if you allow
> access to that.

Got it. Thanks.

> > Can i configure it to backup once a day or during logout/ shutdown ?
> >

> Well, if a backup takes 45 minutes (or 3 hours) do you really want to
> wait that long when trying to logout/shutdown?
>

> > OR is it that the server initiates the backup ?
> >

> Normally, backuppc server will initiate the backup as soon as it sees
> the machine on-line, which usually means shortly after login/startup.
>

> > In my case, all machines are on dhcp, so ips are not fixed.
> >

> No problem, just define the dhcp range, and backuppc will scan the IP
> range looking for active hosts. When it finds a active host, it will
> check it's name, if it needs a backup, then a backup will be started,
> otherwise it moves on to the next IP.

This is perfect. If backuppc can scan and check for the pc's to be online and
then schedule them for backup automatically, it actually resolves my problem.

> The best help I can provide is to read the documentation. If you find a
> problem during installation, then provide as much information on what
> you have done, what errors you got, etc, and someone will most likely be
> able to guide you to a solution. The docs are surprisingly good for
> simple things like how to install!

Will do. Thanks.