BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc

2008-12-18 22:53:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:51:07 +1100

anandx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any newbie guide to setup backuppc ? I wish to setup the
> same on centos5.2 server.

Did you read the documentation, and/or the wiki? There is plenty of very
helpful information and howto's available...

> I guess on all the windows nodes, i would need to install
> cygwin+rsync.

There is a cygwin+rsync package available on the backuppc sourceforge
site, which can make it very easy to install rsyncd. If you don't need
rsync for anything else, and are happy to use rsyncd instead of
rsync+ssh, then I've found this to be a good solution.

> But how does the client initiate the backups ?

The client can initiate backups using the web interface, if you allow
access to that.

> Can i configure it to backup once a day or during logout/ shutdown ?

Well, if a backup takes 45 minutes (or 3 hours) do you really want to
wait that long when trying to logout/shutdown?

> OR is it that the server initiates the backup ?

 Normally, backuppc server will initiate the backup as soon as it sees
the machine on-line, which usually means shortly after login/startup.

> In my case, all machines are on dhcp, so ips are not fixed.

No problem, just define the dhcp range, and backuppc will scan the IP
range looking for active hosts. When it finds a active host, it will
check it's name, if it needs a backup, then a backup will be started,
otherwise it moves on to the next IP.

The best help I can provide is to read the documentation. If you find a
problem during installation, then provide as much information on what
you have done, what errors you got, etc, and someone will most likely be
able to guide you to a solution. The docs are surprisingly good for
simple things like how to install!

Regards,
Adam

- --