BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.0.0: another xfs problem?

2008-12-19 12:15:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.0.0: another xfs problem?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:13:08 -0700
If the disk usage is the same as before the pool, the issue isnt hardlinks not being maintained.  I am not convinced that XFS is an ideal filesystem.  I'm sure it has it's merits, but I have lost data on 3 filesystems ever, FAT*, XFS and NTFS.  I have never lost data on reiserfs3 or ext2,3.

Additionally, I am not convinced that it performs any better than ext3 in real world workloads.  I have see many comparisons showing XFS marginally faster in some operations, and much faster for file deletions and a few other things, but these are all simulated workloads and I have never seen a comparison running all of these various operations in mixed operation.  how about mixing 100MB random reads with 10MB sequential writes on small files and deleting 400 hardlinks?

I say switch back to ext3.