BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] new to backuppc

2008-12-19 12:09:06
Subject: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc
From: anandx <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:06:21 -0500
Hi Cody,

Cody Dunne wrote:
> Hi Anandx,
>
> anandx wrote:
>
> Yes, rsyncd doesn't encrypt the file transfer and the authentication is
> less secure than ssh. You can allay these by setting up rsyncd to only
> allow local connections and then using an ssh tunnel for the transfer.
> For a guide, see http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

Thanks for the link.

> Btw any ideas if Backuppc can be configured to backup certain hosts

at different intervals and certain at different ? Basically i want a
machine to be backed up daily and keep 7 days backup, then 4 weekly
backups and no monthly and then another one, i only want the monthly
backups.

Absolutely. The schedule settings in the CGI interface allow easy
individual client settings for full backups: FullPeriod (time between
backups) and FullKeepCnt (the number of backups to keep, which can be
exponential over time). Similar settings are for incremental backups.
[/quote]

This is good. I am already off to setup backuppc inside a virtual centos5.2
install. If it works properly on it, i will then configure it on the production
network.