BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure

2008-06-26 08:59:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure
From: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:59:20 +0200
Adam Goryachev schrieb:
> Adam Goryachev wrote:
>> Christoph Litauer wrote:

>>> Craig,
>>> can you explain why, please?
>>> You're right: The storage amount is very small. But one can get _very_
>>> large directory structures on the backup filesystem. My BackupPC volume
>>> now uses 147,650,611 inodes in an XFS filesystem. (I think) this leads
>>> to a very slow directory creation:
>>>     time for i in `seq 1 10000`; do mkdir $i; done
>>> runs about 2.5 minutes! This is 66 directories per second, whereas the
>>> same command on the same server but another (empty) xfs filesystem took
>>> only 34 seconds (about 5 times faster).
>

> Hope that helps.... but at the end of the day, you obviously have a
> performance issue, and will need to track that down. I haven't seen
> anyone else with XFS report their statistics, but that might be more
> helpful, then you will know whether it is a local issue for you, or
> something common to the XFS filesystem, which you could resolve by
> changing to a different FS format, or by talking to the XFS developers
> for assistance in improving the performance.

Thanks a lot Adam!
In the meantime I discussed my problem on the xfs mailing list. We are
not finished yet, but adding mount option "nobarrier" reduced my
performance problems significantly. I am still in contact to clarify if
it's possible to optimize the usage of inode allocation groups. We will
see ...

To get a better base for further discussions, I did a few benchmarks
using bonnie++:

bonnie++ -u root -f -n 10:0:0:1000 -d /backuppc -s0

result for file creation per second: 5501 (sequential)
result for file creation per second: 6430 (random)

Without option nobarrier I had 137 files/second ..

--
Regards
Christoph