BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure

2008-06-24 13:03:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure
From: Rich Rauenzahn <rich AT shroop DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:10:05 -0700
> I don't want to get into a war about filesystem formats, but perhaps
> this is a valid data point for XFS. I don't know about other filesystem
> types either...
>
> You might like to check out/talk to some XFS experts, and see what they
> say about your very slow performance.... There may be some options to
> tune/improve the performance, or they may simply suggest another FS
> format which is better suited to the workload in backuppc.
>
> Either way, let us all know the results, I'm sure you aren't the only
> person on the list with this issue.
>
> BTW, I use reiserfs on my backuppc server, and will let you know the
> number of directories/files under the backuppc directory, along with the
> time to create new directories .... will probably take some hours for
> the results :)

For comparison's sake... this is on a 4 disk software RAID5.

[root@tendo .RAID]# find . -type d | wc -l
1164630
[root@tendo .RAID]# cd tmp
[root@tendo tmp]# pwd
/.RAID/tmp
[root@tendo tmp]# time for i in `seq 1 10000`; do mkdir $i; done
real    0m35.198s
user    0m5.840s
sys     0m25.695s
[root@tendo tmp]# mount | grep /.RAID
/dev/mapper/VolGroupRAID-lvol0 on /.RAID type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
# [root@tendo .RAID]# df -i | egrep Ino\|.RAID
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroupRAID-lvol0
                     164839424 1857828 162981596    2% /.RAID