BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure

2008-06-26 10:06:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:06:09 +0200
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 02:59:20PM +0200, Christoph Litauer wrote:

> > Hope that helps.... but at the end of the day, you obviously have a
> > performance issue, and will need to track that down. I haven't seen
> > anyone else with XFS report their statistics, but that might be more
> > helpful, then you will know whether it is a local issue for you, or
> > something common to the XFS filesystem, which you could resolve by
> > changing to a different FS format, or by talking to the XFS developers
> > for assistance in improving the performance.
>
> Thanks a lot Adam!
> In the meantime I discussed my problem on the xfs mailing list. We are
> not finished yet, but adding mount option "nobarrier" reduced my
> performance problems significantly.

I added that option to my XFS, just in case. My install shouldn't be
using barriers though, because it says:

<5>Filesystem "dm-1": Disabling barriers, not supported by the underlying device

during booting the system...

> I am still in contact to clarify if it's possible to optimize the
> usage of inode allocation groups. We will see ...

I once thought it would be sensible to have larger directory blocks, but
then, a lot of them will turn out empty (except the pool). BackupPC is a
rather extreme use case: lots of files in one place, very little files
but lots of directories in the other place.

Bye,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de