BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure

2008-06-27 03:19:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental directory structure
From: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:19:24 +0200
Christoph Litauer schrieb:
> Thanks a lot Adam!
> In the meantime I discussed my problem on the xfs mailing list. We are
> not finished yet, but adding mount option "nobarrier" reduced my
> performance problems significantly. I am still in contact to clarify if
> it's possible to optimize the usage of inode allocation groups. We will
> see ...
>
> To get a better base for further discussions, I did a few benchmarks
> using bonnie++:
>
> bonnie++ -u root -f -n 10:0:0:1000 -d /backuppc -s0
>
> result for file creation per second: 5501 (sequential)
> result for file creation per second: 6430 (random)
>
> Without option nobarrier I had 137 files/second ..

Well ... this was the good news ...
... now the bad ones ...

This morning, 2 backup processes were still running. strace'ing one
client process, one can see that rsync is waiting for sending data
(select). strace'ing the servers process (BackupPC_dump), one can see
that it creates tons of directories ... which is correct as I have
learned as the dump is an incremental one.
But: BackupPC_dump only creates about 60 directories per second
(regarding the number of used inodes). A bonnie++ benchmark _in
parallel_ on backuppc's filesystem reports 1450 files/directories per
second (minimum).

Some of my clients have filesystems containig about 250,000 directories.
So the creation of the directory tree lasts about 1.5 hours for each
client plus the time for transfering the backup data. I think this maybe
the reason why my backups are still running in the morning ...

What are your directory creation rates regarding BackupPC_dump?

--
Regards
Christoph