BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow

2008-05-25 17:16:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow
From: Kurt Jasper <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 23:15:57 +0200
Hendrik Friedel wrote:

 > I have the same Problem. The backuppc performance is really poor with
 > rsync. Have you tried samba for the transfer?

Success Story: After some testing I finally succeeded setting up our
linux server and some win xp/2k clients to work with BackupPC.

After spending lots of time to get BackuPC working to backup windows
cient via SSH+Rsync (as described in the wiki-page) I was never able to
get good connection speeds (compared to client pcs running linux).

My Conclusion regarding BackupPC and Windows-Clients:

1)Rsync + SSH using Cygwin:
configuration is much more work compared to Samba or rsyncd, since
BackupPC needs root-access via SSH to use Rsync.
Network speed was terrible slow and I was not able to change this.

2) Samba
very easy to setup, you just need to share the whole drive or
directories you want to back up.
Problem: when you are not using the Windows Professional you are unable
to set correct permissions to limit the access to the BackupPC User.
Also you can NOT use Includes and Excludes when working with Samba and
file permissions will not be backed up correctly. Also some files
doesn't seem to be backed up when using Samba and BackupPC. Network
transfer is much faster compared to rsync over ssh.

3) The best choice was/is/seems to be to use rsyncd.
I got excellent network speed and all files were succesfully backed up.
Compared to Samba you can use Includes and Excludes lists. So you get
all the benefits from rsync, but save the extra work to setup SSH and
root-access for the BackupPC user.

So rsync is the way to go :-)

I've followed the description from this site:
http://wiki.tek.net/index.php/Notes_on_BackupPC

Hendrik wrote:

> Why do you install cygwin instead of using the package you can get on
> the backuppc homepage?

I thought that a real cygwin installation maybe better, if I need some
other tools like rsnapshot, ssh ... in the future. And installing cygwin
isn't that hard.

Best regards from berlin

- Kurt

PS: I think the BackupPC Documentation should mention clearly that
rsyncd is the best way to go when backing up windows clients with BackupPC.