BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys

2008-04-18 12:59:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys
From: Jonathan Dill <jonathan AT nerds DOT net>
To: Tony Schreiner <schreian AT bc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:58:55 -0400
On Apr 18, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> And yes, I struggle with what needs be backed up. The users
> (bioinformatics research) can generate a couple of 100 GB of data
> every day, some of it very large files, some of it hectathousands  of
> small files, some of which needs to be saved, some of which does not.
> There is no easy way for me to predict yes or no.

How much memory does the server have?  Just a guess, but especially if
you are using rsync, you could be running into problems with the size
of the "list" that rsync has to maintain in memory, and rsync could
spend all of its time paging.  "top" for e.g. should give you some
idea.  I would recommend using 64-bit OS and max out the memory if
possible, that should help unless something else is going on.  Also
the BackupPC server(s) should be dedicated for that purpose and not
running other jobs (my prior experience with bioinformatics is they
like to squeeze CPU cycles from any box they can get their hands on).

Second, take a look at aggregation and backplane speed on the network
switches, maybe links are getting saturated somewhere, or you need to
do some trunking, make sure your link speeds are really Gb/s from end
to end, try some large file transfers to see how much throughput you
really get from point to point.  Take a look at the network interface
stats e.g. from ifconfig to see if any of the numbers look awry,
double check duplex settings and for MTU consistency, any routers or
firewalls in the path.  I am sure you already know all that, but once
in awhile I know myself I forget to check the things that are quick
and easy to check and would be easy to fix, very little time wasted if
that turns out not to be relevant.

If possible, you may want to have a parallel "storage network"
connected to extra NIC card in each server to get maximum bandwidth
for backups--if you make that secure and separate from the regular
LAN, then you don't need to e.g. tunnel through SSH, that will save
you some overhead if you are encrypting right now.  I take it for
granted that you are using some type of hardware RAID or a SAN to get
better I/O throughput on the server, you would pretty much have to be
doing that for your capacity.

Jonathan