BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys

2008-04-18 11:19:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Craig Barratt" <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:10:35 -0600
how many files are being backed up that it is taking so long?  is it a bandwidth issue or a file count issue.  are you backing up multiple hosts at the same time?  I think that the 24hours is a awefull long time to do the backup, think about how many things can happen in 24 hours and think about what you are actually backing up.  you could be backing up data that is just not going to be of much value because the files could change during that 24 hour period.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net> wrote:
Tino,

Very good explanation.  One minor comment...

> The whole process works roughly like this:
> - backups are done by BackuPC_dump on per-client basis, no explicit
>   pooling involved yet (apart from full backups where existing/unaltered
>   files are linked into the new backup from last full, so link count in
>   the pool increases too)

Actually any new file is linked immediately if it exists in the pool.
Rsync additionally can avoid transferring the file (or transfer just
the changes to file) provided a file with the exact same path exists
in the prior (reference) backup.

> - BackupPC_link traverses completed backups and links new files to the
>   pool (so the new file has link count 2)
> - when a backup starts, old backups get expired and are moved to the
>   trash directory without further processing
> - BackupPC_trashClean simply removes everything in the trash
>   periodically -> link count on some files in the pool decreases
> - BackupPC_nightly skims through the pool and removes files with link
>   count 1 since they are not used by any backup any more

Craig