BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys

2008-04-18 14:13:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:13:02 +0200
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:32:47AM -0400, Tony Schreiner wrote:

> I have asked the users to use certain directories for temporary
> files, which I don't backup; but users are users as you may know.

I've "educated" my users the hard way. We've got home directories with
quotas set up. Then we've got a temporary "exchange" directory. Every
file not changed within the last 14 days is removed by a nightly job
(first moved to some hidden location, then really removed after another
14 days). That works reasonably well (if you tell find to use ctime, not
mtime).

Tell users which directories get backed up and which don't. Use quotas
for backed up directories and have temporary directories be cleaned
automatically (or just move files somewhere else from time to time for
educational purposes). :->

HTH,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de