BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys

2008-04-18 11:51:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] overlapping BackupPC_nightlys
From: Tony Schreiner <schreian AT bc DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:32:47 -0400
On Apr 18, 2008, at 11:10 AM, dan wrote:

> how many files are being backed up that it is taking so long?  is
> it a bandwidth issue or a file count issue.  are you backing up
> multiple hosts at the same time?  I think that the 24hours is a
> awefull long time to do the backup, think about how many things can
> happen in 24 hours and think about what you are actually backing
> up.  you could be backing up data that is just not going to be of
> much value because the files could change during that 24 hour period.

As I originally said, it happens occasionally, not all the time. It
usually only happens during a full backup of one of the larger
clients, which I do on a 28 day interval.
It's a big backup setup. The pool volume is 4 TB.  Gbit ethernet, A
dozen client with filesytems of 1-6 TB. My pre-pooling-and-
compression backup size stands now at  33 TB; I have very nearly
reached capacity and will need to expand soon.

And yes, I struggle with what needs be backed up. The users
(bioinformatics research) can generate a couple of 100 GB of data
every day, some of it very large files, some of it hectathousands  of
small files, some of which needs to be saved, some of which does not.
There is no easy way for me to predict yes or no.

I have asked the users to use certain directories for temporary
files, which I don't backup; but users are users as you may know.

It will come down to policy, not technical decisions eventually.

Tony Schreiner