BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Amount of time for full backups

2008-04-18 12:57:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Amount of time for full backups
From: Beth Morgan <beth.morgan AT connectnc DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 02:10:43 -0400
Hi -

I just started using BackupPC about 3 weeks ago.  I'm using the
default schedule, where I should have a full backup performed once a
week.  I have 5 servers backing up to this server.  Before this, I
used Legato and backed up to a tape jukebox.  I used to think those
backups were slow (sometimes up to 15 hours for a full backup), but
now it's taking days (at 3 and counting for one server) to complete a
full backup. (I love the faster restore time though).

What factors most influence the speed of backups?  The machine I'm
using is a Celeron 1200 MHz processor with 2 gb RAM. The OS is
CentOS. BackupPC version 3.1.0.

So far, the best success I've had is to only allow one machine to
backup at a time. That scares me a little though, because the other 4
then have stale backups.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I just need a better machine?

Thanks,
Beth