BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Bear Metal Restore

2008-04-09 21:23:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Bear Metal Restore
From: "Jack" <jack AT coats DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 20:23:07 -0500
Ok, I have not found this, and it must be 'out there' somewhere.

I would like to be able to do a 'bear metal restore' for both Linux and
Windows.

I have done it using a commercial product on Windows (basics were:
build a 'new' installation with just the minimal network basics, with the
c:\windows somewhere else (like c:\winx ) if c:\windows is your 'system'
directory.
then restore all the data, including the c:\windows directory,
restore the 'system state', reboot the machine.  It is now exactly
the same as it was before, after you erase c:\winx

I never did it on Linux.  I basically have just built a 'new' machine and
restored data, and re-installed all programs.  Doing bear metal here would
be
nice too.

Does someone know where I can ReadTheFineManual for some 'how-to's' with
BackupPC?

TIA