BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] improving the deduplication ratio

2008-04-09 21:12:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] improving the deduplication ratio
From: Michael Barrow <michael AT michaelbarrow DOT name>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, Ludovic Drolez <ldrolez AT debian DOT org>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:11:58 -0700
>>> I've seen in some commercial backup systems with included
>>> deduplication (which often run under Linux :-), that files are
>>> split in
>>> 128k or 256k chunks prior to deduplication.
>>>
>>> It's nice to improve the deduplication ratio for big log files, mbox
>>> files, binary db not often updated, etc. Only the last chunk of a
>>> log
>>> file would create a new entry in the backuppc pool.

How long are you willing to have your backups and restores take? If
you do more processing on the backed up files, you'll take a greater
hit. In the long run, I'm not sure it's worth the additional cost of
impacting recovery time objectives and putting additional abuse on
the environment during backups.

--
Michael Barrow
michael at michaelbarrow dot name