BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bear Metal Restore

2008-04-10 05:13:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bear Metal Restore
From: Andreas Micklei <andreas.micklei AT ivistar DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:13:22 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2008 schrieb Jack:
> I would like to be able to do a 'bear metal restore' for both Linux and
> Windows.

The easiest thing is probably using BackupPC for data recovery only and use a
separate product for desaster recovery of the base system (excluding user
data).

For Windows the usual suspects Ghost and TrueImage can be used.

For Linux there are a number of free alternatives which can also do desaster
recovery of windows partitions. They are usually just a little more
complicated then the commercial windows pendants, but easy enough to handle
with some basic Linux knowledge.

Personally I have used mondo rescue successfully to build recovery CDs/DVDs
for my servers. These recovery CDs/DVDs can be used to restore the base
system including the partition layout, etc. from bare metal without any
manual intervention in just a few minutes. Boot the CD, choose "Nuke", press
OK, drink coffee. From there on it's easy to restore any system updates and
the current user data via BackupPC.

http://www.mondorescue.org/

Alternative solutions which I have not personally tested are clonezille,
ddrescue and probably a bunch of others I do not know. However the basic
concept of using one software for desaster recovery and BackupPC for
restoring user data applies to all these solutions.

Alternatively you can boot some Live CD/DVD and dump the partition layout and
any system partitions to an external USB HDD or the like using dd, ntfsclone,
etc. mondorescue and the other desaster recovery solutions just automate this
process and make it a little more intelligent and space saving.

regards,
Andreas Micklei

--
Andreas Micklei
IVISTAR Kommunikationssysteme AG

Handelsregister: Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 75173
Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE207795030
Vorstand: Dipl.-Inform. Heiko Schüler
Aufsichtsrat: Dr.-Ing. Dirk Elias