Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Source IP ?

2009-09-29 08:40:03
Subject: Re: Amanda Source IP ?
From: Jason Frisvold <friz AT godshell DOT com>
To: Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst AT ontko DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:33:56 -0400
On Sep 28, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
I haven't tried running Amanda on a host with two IP numbers on the same subnet, but another possibility is that the routing configuration on the
backup server host have been changed somewhat during the loss and
re-creation of the "eth0" config file. Given the right sort of change, that might result in that the kernel is now choosing a different "route" for communicating with the client hosts, which in turn might lead to it
to assign a different source IP to the outgoing packets.

Aha ! This was the problem. I'm curious as to why it decided to change the default src IP though ... The server was rebooted recently, and that's about it .. I'll have to dig more, but this solves my problem for the moment. Thanks !

If that's the cause of your situatino, the "ip route get" command might
give you some hints as to why that's happening.  (I'm assuming you are
running Linux on that host.) See e.g.
  http://linux-ip.net/html/tools-ip-route.html#tools-ip-route-get
for more info.

                                                        Nathan

---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
friz AT godshell DOT com
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone
and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the
source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the
Tao of Programming."