Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Source IP ?

2009-09-28 12:32:38
Subject: Re: Amanda Source IP ?
From: Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst AT ontko DOT com>
To: Jason Frisvold <friz AT godshell DOT com>, "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:25:13 -0400

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:58:52 -0400, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Jason Frisvold <friz AT godshell DOT com>
> wrote:
> >        Is there a way to set the IP to use within Amanda?  If so, can
> > someone point me in the right direction?  I'm currently running Amanda
> > 2.5.1, though I'm looking to move to 2.6.1 soon.
>
> No, at the moment there is no configuration for this -- Amanda does
> not bind its sockets to any particular IP, so the OS chooses a source
> IP using its own algorithms.  This usually "just works" (it will pick
> an IP on the same subnet if possible).
>
> To answer Chris's question, I would expect that the domain names given
> in the disklist are now resolving to an address that is "closer" to
> the secondary IP, in whatever measurements the kernel is making.

I haven't tried running Amanda on a host with two IP numbers on the same
subnet, but another possibility is that the routing configuration on the
backup server host have been changed somewhat during the loss and
re-creation of the "eth0" config file.  Given the right sort of change,
that might result in that the kernel is now choosing a different "route"
for communicating with the client hosts, which in turn might lead to it
to assign a different source IP to the outgoing packets.

If that's the cause of your situatino, the "ip route get" command might
give you some hints as to why that's happening.  (I'm assuming you are
running Linux on that host.) See e.g.
   http://linux-ip.net/html/tools-ip-route.html#tools-ip-route-get
for more info.

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  nathanst AT ontko DOT com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239