Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Source IP ?

2009-09-28 11:13:02
Subject: Re: Amanda Source IP ?
From: Jason Frisvold <friz AT godshell DOT com>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:07:39 -0400
On Sep 28, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
Jason Frisvold wrote:
Hi all,

I've been happily using Amanda for some time now, but I seem to have run into a recent snag. The backup server has multiple addresses on a single interface and, for some reason, it has taken to using the secondary IP as the source for Amanda communications. This becomes a problem as I have firewall rules throughout the network that specify the primary interface IP.

Is there a way to set the IP to use within Amanda? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm currently running Amanda 2.5.1, though I'm looking to move to 2.6.1 soon.

So what changed on your system? It doesn't just randomly decide to use a different IP. That's all controlled by things like the hosts file. I control how my Amanda server addresses its clients by putting explicit entries in /etc/hosts that match the entries in Amanda's disklist. That allows me to keep the backups on the private network, even though the server and a particular client may both have IPs on the public network as well.

To my knowledge, nothing. At least, nothing on the network side of things. Something ate the main eth0 config file a few days ago, though, after upgrading a bunch of packages.. This is the only server that was affected, though, so I'm still investigating.

Both eth0 and eth0:0 have IPs on the same subnet, so both are technically valid, but after having used the IP on eth0 forever, I had assumed that Amanda used the primary interface first. I suppose I'll have to open the firewall a little to account for this other IP..

Chris Hoogendyk

---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
friz AT godshell DOT com
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone
and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the
source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the
Tao of Programming."