Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Source IP ?

2009-09-28 09:15:42
Subject: Re: Amanda Source IP ?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Jason Frisvold <friz AT godshell DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:58:05 -0400

Jason Frisvold wrote:
Hi all,

I've been happily using Amanda for some time now, but I seem to have run into a recent snag. The backup server has multiple addresses on a single interface and, for some reason, it has taken to using the secondary IP as the source for Amanda communications. This becomes a problem as I have firewall rules throughout the network that specify the primary interface IP.

Is there a way to set the IP to use within Amanda? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm currently running Amanda 2.5.1, though I'm looking to move to 2.6.1 soon.

So what changed on your system? It doesn't just randomly decide to use a different IP. That's all controlled by things like the hosts file. I control how my Amanda server addresses its clients by putting explicit entries in /etc/hosts that match the entries in Amanda's disklist. That allows me to keep the backups on the private network, even though the server and a particular client may both have IPs on the public network as well.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator