Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and dual tape libraries.

2009-05-14 17:17:43
Subject: Re: Amanda and dual tape libraries.
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:02:00 -0400

Onotsky, Steve x55328 wrote:
I agree, but the caveat is that the planner will do its darndest to make full
use of the extended capacity of the LTO4 cartridge.

In my case, our backups went from between 5 and 8 hours with LTO2 tapes to well
over 24 hours in some cases with the LOT4s - same DLEs.  It took some fancy
footwork to get it to a reasonable window (about the same length of time as
with the 2s but some of the larger DLEs are forced to incremental on weekdays).
 This is so we can get the cartridges ready for pickup by our offsite storage
provider.
I don't get that at all. Doesn't make sense. Were there other things you
changed? Or did you previously have much more designated for backup than your
system and/or configuration could handle and the planner was always falling
back? Maybe you had a setup that would result in 800G per day if it could, but
you had a runtapes of 1, so Amanda was constantly forced to back up less than
what it should have? Then you gave it LTO4 and it began to do what it should
have all along?

In my own case, I use much less than the capacity of my tapes. The designation
of a dumpcycle of 1 week and runspercycle of 7 means I basically get 1 full per
DLE per week, though that may vary slightly. I don't get how having a larger
tape is going to affect that at all.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-