Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and dual tape libraries.

2009-05-14 14:12:11
Subject: Re: Amanda and dual tape libraries.
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:53:18 -0400

McGraw, Robert P wrote:
I have a tape library (38) unit with one lto2 tape unit and one empty
tape slot.

I need to speed up our backups.

One option is to purchase a second tape unit but not sure how Amanda
works with a two tape drives. I searched the wiki for information but
did not get any hits.
I am going to upgrade to the latest Amanda version so the version should
not be a problem.

Can Amanda use multiple tape drives for a backup? I want to put complete
backup files on a tape and not strip the tapes.

If you are looking for speed and thinking of upgrading, then why not get an LTO4 drive to put in your library and switch to that? Assuming your backup system can drive it at full speed, that would be 3 times as fast as the LTO2 drive and would be able to read the LTO2 tapes. Of course, it would require transitioning to LTO4 tapes, but that's going to give you 4 times the capacity.

Another option is larger holding disks (or a holding array), backing everything to there on its way to the tape.

Do your backup reports indicate that the taping speed is the bottleneck?

My library is AIT5, which isn't as fast as LTO. When a DLE is being written to tape, my system can drive the tape at full speed. However, the tape drive spends a lot of time idle, as the bottleneck on my system is traffic over the network and the busyness of the other servers that are being backed up. I have large enough spool drives that the backup activity is going to until it accumulates and is ready for taping.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator