Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda and dual tape libraries.

2009-05-14 16:25:01
Subject: RE: Amanda and dual tape libraries.
From: "McGraw, Robert P" <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:17:38 -0400
Chris,

Thanks for your input.

I am using a 38 slot StorEdge C4 unit and one LTO2 tape drive.

See some answers below.

I just was looking to see if this is or could be done and if so how. With the
virtual tape array maybe this will be mute.

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                    EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                            ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                   PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067

[McGraw, Robert P]
I had looked into going to an lto4 but I am told by Sun that it is not
supported on the C4. It does support the LTO3 but with the small increase of
performance and the cost of LTO3 tapes I have decided to stay with the LTO2 for
now.

> Another option is larger holding disks (or a holding array), backing
> everything to there on its way to the tape.
[McGraw, Robert P]
I have 500GB and seem to be plenty. I am planning on upgrading to Amanda 2.6.1
this month and start using the flush-threshold-dumped parameters. This should
help. Also this summer I will have access to a 8TB array and will set up
virtual tapes on this which will help.

> Do your backup reports indicate that the taping speed is the
> bottleneck?
[McGraw, Robert P]
My tape write speed is very close to the max for the LTO unit.