Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda always doing full backup?

2009-05-14 16:31:13
Subject: Re: Amanda always doing full backup?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Jeffrey D Anderson <JDAnderson AT lbl DOT gov>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:58:11 -0400
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Jeffrey D Anderson <JDAnderson AT lbl DOT
gov> wrote:
> I don't know if there is any real solution to that problem, though.  amanda
> tries to balance the load evenly among the runs in each dumpcycle.  But
> sometimes I'd rather she tried to keep me on a single tape, and then write
> two tapes some night, rather than writing 1 1/4 tapes each night.  That would
> save a lot of wear and tear on backup media.
>
> Perhaps the solution is not in changing the planner behavior, but in taper
> options.  It would be acceptible to me if amanda wrote most of the holding
> disk files to tape, but elected to save some for the next night if it meant
> better allocation of media.

There's room both for new planner algorithms and for interaction
between the planner and the taper.  At the moment, the planner
pretends it has a single tape of length (tapetype:$tapetype:length *
runtapes).

All of this is pretty far off in the future, sadly.  I can only code so fast :)

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com