Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and dual tape libraries.

2009-05-14 18:03:45
Subject: Re: Amanda and dual tape libraries.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:52:36 -0500
Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> Onotsky, Steve x55328 wrote:
>> I agree, but the caveat is that the planner will do its darndest to make
>> full use of the extended capacity of the LTO4 cartridge.
>>
>> In my case, our backups went from between 5 and 8 hours with LTO2 tapes to
>> well over 24 hours in some cases with the LOT4s - same DLEs.  It took some
>> fancy footwork to get it to a reasonable window (about the same length of
>> time as with the 2s but some of the larger DLEs are forced to incremental on
>> weekdays).  This is so we can get the cartridges ready for pickup by our
>> offsite storage provider.
> I don't get that at all. Doesn't make sense. Were there other things you
> changed? Or did you previously have much more designated for backup than your
> system and/or configuration could handle and the planner was always falling
> back? Maybe you had a setup that would result in 800G per day if it could,
> but you had a runtapes of 1, so Amanda was constantly forced to back up less
> than what it should have? Then you gave it LTO4 and it began to do what it
> should have all along?
>
> In my own case, I use much less than the capacity of my tapes. The
> designation of a dumpcycle of 1 week and runspercycle of 7 means I basically
> get 1 full per DLE per week, though that may vary slightly. I don't get how
> having a larger tape is going to affect that at all.

Amanda gets wonky if your tape is much larger than your backups, or
at least it does with 2.5.1p2.  On one configuration with a 50GB
tape (that can hold about two weeks of daily backups), Amanda was
constantly promoting fulls trying to level out tape usage, but I
really didn't want full backups every 2 or 3 days.  If I had, I
would have set dumpcycle to 2 or 3 days, but it was set to 5.
  Since I was trying to fill tapes by leaving dumps on the holding
disk and only occasionally flush them to tape, I really didn't
want all the incrementals constantly get promoted to fulls, wasting
my holding disk space. Eventually I just forced it by setting
maxpromoteday to 4 or 5 days, which solved the problem for me.
  Perhaps part of the issue was the result of having a couple of
relatively larger DLEs and several smaller ones, making level
tape usage impossible, no matter how they were arranged.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673