Amanda-Users

Re: windows backup restore

2009-04-10 18:00:10
Subject: Re: windows backup restore
From: "Tim Johnson J." <tim AT earth.northwestern DOT edu>
To: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:52:59 -0500 (CDT)

  I had the same thought. I will try upgrading
in the next week...

Thanks

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Paul Yeatman wrote:

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 08:22 -0700, Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Tim Johnson J.
<tim AT earth.northwestern DOT edu> wrote:

   Silly question that I am sure someone has seen,
but I could not see an answer on the wiki's for.

 While doing a restore of the backups for a windows machine
(backup via the zmanada client install) the restore fails with
a /bin/tar.exe error.

 In the header of the backup AMANDA: FILE it specifies "/bin/tar.exe -f -"
without the "x" option:

dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 |       /bin/gzip -dc |   /bin/tar.exe -f - ...

  I can take the backup via command line and extract the file by adding
the "x" to the tar command.

Windows client uses zip format. This command will not work.  Please
follow directions from
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Zmanda_Windows_Client#Restoring_files_to_the_Windows_client

It sounds like you are using the older Windows client that uses Cygwin
and thus tar.  Don't know why it seems the x is missing nor how one
would manually put it back.  There are 3 newer versions of this client
however if an upgrade is worth a shot.

Paul

Paddy
  Is there any options on the client (2.5.1.2) to change it to allow using
the "x" tar option so the backups of the windows machine will function with
amrestore.

Thanks for any input.

--
Design Engineer