Amanda-Users

Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009

2009-04-10 15:33:35
Subject: Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:26:49 -0400
wrote:
>> Dustin;  It is looking like its catching up, after several runs with
>> intervening versions, it has caught up with whatever change made that made
>> it think everything was new.  I don't believe it was device major/minors
>> that did it, since when the first time I ran the 0331 version it was a
>> total failure, not 'to big' failures like I have had with 0321 & newer
>> till its caught up again.  Reverting to 0319 from 0331 made it run normal.
>>  But every newer version has acted like the device mapper had moved all
>> the disks around, and the option --no-device-check was being ignored.  So
>> I have NDI what the real problem is/was.  I am continuing to build & test,
>> 0327 is building now.

You recall that when I went from 0319 to 0331, it wasn't this, it was a total,
all results missing failure, and reverting to 0319 fixed that, so I believe I
am looking at 2 distinct problems.

>As in the past, this problem really exists between tar and the kernel,
>so Amanda versions aren't relevant.  The one thing that you can check
>for us (as opposed to for the kernel or tar developers) is that Amanda
>is properly sending the --no-device-check to tar.  You should see this
>either in your sendbackup debug logs or your runtar debug logs.
>
>Dustin

I can see it in the htop report while its actively running, but haven't looked
at the runtar debug logs yet, hang on.  Mummmmmmm, no runtar logs. I am
running amgtar.

From the htop screen: No, I can't show it, amgtar has finished all DLE's for
this run, and the printer just spit out a normal report.

I just grepped all the amgtar.*.debug files, and it is not noted in any of
them.  This begins to quack like amgtar is ignoring that option?  Please say
it isn't so...  If so, it seems like it should log that the option wasn't
done, somehow.

It any event, I haven't hit the total failure of 0331 yet, so I will proceed
with the next one, 0330, as 0327 seemed to run normally.  Stay tuned...

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are
totally worthless.