Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] Scheduling backups

2008-12-15 20:26:24
Subject: [Amanda-users] Scheduling backups
From: shantanu uab <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:13:50 -0500
I don't know exact definition of dumpcycle and runspercycle. Here is my
understanding of amanda scheduling:
We can't specify the exact backup schedule in Amanda. However, we can tell
Amanda how frequently we want at least one full backup. The exact scheduling
can be done using crontab.

Ref: http://www.amanda.org/fom-serve/cache/292.html
Example:
dumpcycle = 1 week
runspercycle = 5
crontab entry&#58; 30 2 * * 1-5 amdump
This tells Amanda to take at least one full backup every week (dumpcycle =
1week) with 5 amdump runs (at least one run out of these would give us a full
backup).
The crontab entry will actually run the backup every weekday at 2:30 am.
[ Note: I am not sure whether it is the 'at least' one full backup over dump
cycle or thats the final figure]

The dumpcycle and runspercycle gives Amanda an idea of frequency of backups.
This will help Amanda in its intelligent scheduling whether to perform full or
incremental backup.

Hope this helps..

-
Shantanu.