Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Scheduling backups

2008-12-14 13:05:09
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Scheduling backups
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:21:04 +0200
amita0204 wrote:

- If I specify dumpcycle as 0, then I would get full backup every day.
Is that correct?

Yes.

Is it equivalent to specifying dumpcycle as 1 day?

Interesting question. I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

- We can tell Amanda how many backups we want, but we can't specify
particular time for it. But then one can run amcheck and amdump using
crontab. So if one specifies dumpcycle and runspercycle and also uses
crontab for running amdump then will one setting override the other
one?

By "can't specify particular time" we mean that we generally can't expect full dumps to be run during any particular Amanda run. What we DON'T mean is that we can't specify when exactly the backup process is being run (hopefully this sentence had a correct amount of negatives). This is specified exactly in the crontab, which is the typical way for scheduling backups. Amanda doesn't have a will of her own which would allow her to wake up on a random moment during the day and start making backups. It is administrator's responsibility to schedule the amdump process so that it's interference with normal daily system usage is minimal. Crontab is arguably the best way to achieve this.

- Can I specify when not to run any backup process? I would like backs
to run only during system idle time. So is there any setting that can
be done in Amanda?

See above.

--
Toomas Aas

... Show respect to age. Drink good scotch.