Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Scheduling backups

2008-12-17 16:44:30
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Scheduling backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:10:42 -0500
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 03:17:49PM -0500, shantanu uab wrote:

> In summary:
>
> - Crontab will invoke amdump <config-name>
> - Amanda knows min. frequency of full backups needed and how many times
> amdump will be run from amanda.conf file
> - The clients/files to be backed up are specified in disklist (could be more
> than one)
> - Amanda ensures min. freq. of full backup is respected for all disklist
> entries, however not all backups taken during a particular amdump run would
> be of same type (full / incremental)
>
> Again, as mentioned in my last post, I am not sure whether dumpcycle is the
> min. frequency of full backup or is it the frequency of full backup?

The reason it is refered to a the minimum frequency is that amanda
considers, at the start of the run, what mix of dumps to do that run.
One objective is to have "balanced" runs where each night approximately
the same amount of data is taped.  Amanda may promote DLEs and start
them on new dumpcycles (i.e. do level 0s) earlier than their due dates.

Amanda may also calculate that so much changed on a particular DLE that
a level 1 would be nearly the same size as a level 0 and thus promote it.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)