Amanda-Users

Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...

2008-11-09 22:00:22
Subject: Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:55:30 -0500
On Sunday 09 November 2008, Frank Smith wrote:
>My Debian lenny system has tar 1.20, and tar --help shows that as
>a run-time option:
>
>      --no-check-device      do not check device numbers when creating
>                             incremental archives

Oohkaay. So I changed the default for that member of the option array in
amgtar from 1, which I assume enables this by default, to a 0, which I assume
disables it by default, rebuilt & re-installed.

But, I do not believe that actually puts amgtar into the pipeline, so it will
not have any effect if I'm correct.  There is a new APPLICATION keyword in
amanda.conf, but the details on how to use it are, shall we say, sparse.

Any attempt to set that up according to the man page for the new amanda.conf
fails miserably.

Is this 'define application "name" {option-name option-value}' supposed to be
in a section all by itself, and above Global if I want to use it in Global?

Trying to put it inside the Global definition sure doesn't work.

>Frank

Thanks Frank, from somebody who thinks he must be a blithering idiot to
everyone else by now.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A lack of leadership is no substitute for inaction.