Amanda-Users

Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...

2008-11-09 12:45:17
Subject: Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 12:39:52 -0500
On Sunday 09 November 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 09 November 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>>On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
>
>wrote:
>>> etc, etc.  The device major/minor's didn't change with the reboot, amanda
>>> is still 2.6.0p2, and tar wasn't changed, so what brought this on?  This
>>> problem is beginning to get under my skin & upset me.  Amanda, up till
>>> about 2 years ago was stable, and worked well if my tape drive did.  Now,
>>> frankly, its turning into a PIMA.  Has anyone an idea what keeps doing
>>> this to me?
>>
>>Now, now -- be nice.  You're living on "the edge" in terms of kernel
>>versions (and presumably other software), and that will invariably
>>lead to hardship.
>
>Kernel, OOo in a couple of versions, adobe reader direct from adobe, and
> some tricks to keep me sane as firefox gets updated for the latest attack.
>
>>I think that installing a newer tar and setting CHECK_DEVICE to "no"
>>will clear this up.  After all, we introduced this feature just for
>>you :)
>
>Yup, me and a lot of other linux users. :-)  In re that, I don't feel
> special, its a common sense thing in view of the relative instability of
> the linux filesystem over time.  The only thing consistent is the change.
> :)
>
>>I realize that Fedora doesn't have a new enough tar yet -- you could
>>build your own, or modify the RPM .spec to build the newest version
>>and rebuild.
>>
>>Dustin
>
>Or build from the tarball. :)  I have done that, several times in testing
>things about the time that 1.13 & 1.15 went to the dogs.  That however was
>several installs back up the log.
>
>But the puzzling part to me is that amanda has lost her mind, but the device
>mapper did not change the major/minors between the 2 kernel versions,
> (unless it switched the order and my use of disk labeling hides it) so we
> probably can't point that particular finger.  What is left then?  What
> should I look for after that?
>
>Got 1.20, make check running now.  Where do I put this "CHECK_DEVICE=no"
>option?  Or do I have to install the latest 2.6.1 amanda to get that?

I can't find anything in the latest amanda, but tar-1.20's NEWS file says it
now has a --no-check-device configuration option.

Unforch:
[amanda@coyote tar-1.20]$ ./configure --no-check-device
configure: error: unrecognized option: --no-check-device
Try `./configure --help' for more information.

Same if root.  What the heck?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Every morning is a Smirnoff morning.

Gene:
Humm, jolly idea, too bad I don't have any.