Amanda-Users

Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...

2008-11-09 10:14:45
Subject: Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:07:52 -0500
On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> etc, etc.  The device major/minor's didn't change with the reboot, amanda is
> still 2.6.0p2, and tar wasn't changed, so what brought this on?  This problem
> is beginning to get under my skin & upset me.  Amanda, up till about 2 years
> ago was stable, and worked well if my tape drive did.  Now, frankly, its
> turning into a PIMA.  Has anyone an idea what keeps doing this to me?

Now, now -- be nice.  You're living on "the edge" in terms of kernel
versions (and presumably other software), and that will invariably
lead to hardship.

I think that installing a newer tar and setting CHECK_DEVICE to "no"
will clear this up.  After all, we introduced this feature just for
you :)

I realize that Fedora doesn't have a new enough tar yet -- you could
build your own, or modify the RPM .spec to build the newest version
and rebuild.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer