Amanda-Users

Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...

2008-11-09 11:29:21
Subject: Re: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:22:31 -0500
On Sunday 09 November 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
>> etc, etc.  The device major/minor's didn't change with the reboot, amanda
>> is still 2.6.0p2, and tar wasn't changed, so what brought this on?  This
>> problem is beginning to get under my skin & upset me.  Amanda, up till
>> about 2 years ago was stable, and worked well if my tape drive did.  Now,
>> frankly, its turning into a PIMA.  Has anyone an idea what keeps doing
>> this to me?
>
>Now, now -- be nice.  You're living on "the edge" in terms of kernel
>versions (and presumably other software), and that will invariably
>lead to hardship.

Kernel, OOo in a couple of versions, adobe reader direct from adobe, and some
tricks to keep me sane as firefox gets updated for the latest attack.

>I think that installing a newer tar and setting CHECK_DEVICE to "no"
>will clear this up.  After all, we introduced this feature just for
>you :)

Yup, me and a lot of other linux users. :-)  In re that, I don't feel special,
its a common sense thing in view of the relative instability of the linux
filesystem over time.  The only thing consistent is the change. :)

>I realize that Fedora doesn't have a new enough tar yet -- you could
>build your own, or modify the RPM .spec to build the newest version
>and rebuild.
>
>Dustin

Or build from the tarball. :)  I have done that, several times in testing
things about the time that 1.13 & 1.15 went to the dogs.  That however was
several installs back up the log.

But the puzzling part to me is that amanda has lost her mind, but the device
mapper did not change the major/minors between the 2 kernel versions, (unless
it switched the order and my use of disk labeling hides it) so we probably
can't point that particular finger.  What is left then?  What should I look
for after that?

Got 1.20, make check running now.  Where do I put this "CHECK_DEVICE=no"
option?  Or do I have to install the latest 2.6.1 amanda to get that?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Many people are unenthusiastic about your work.