Amanda-Users

Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...

2008-11-09 03:14:19
Subject: Device mapper doesn't seem to be guilty, all disk majors are still 8, but...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:07:24 -0500
I built 2.6.27.5 tonight and rebooted to it from 2.6.28-rc2, and amanda went
bonkers again:

There are 4396254k of dumps left in the holding disk.
They will be flushed on the next run.

The next tape Amanda expects to use is: Dailys-27.

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
   coyote /bin           lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 10 KB, must skip
incremental dumps]"
   coyote /sbin          lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 10 KB, must skip
incremental dumps]"
   coyote /etc           lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 266 KB, must skip
incremental dumps]"
   coyote /opt           lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 309 KB, must skip
incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/kerberos  lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 420 KB, must skip
incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/java      lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 99830 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/weber     lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 137170 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/dlds/rpms lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 213340 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/brlcad    lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 232330 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/lib       lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 429312 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/bin       lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 511810 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"
   coyote /usr/movies    lev 1  FAILED "[dumps way too big, 10408860 KB, must
skip incremental dumps]"

etc, etc.  The device major/minor's didn't change with the reboot, amanda is
still 2.6.0p2, and tar wasn't changed, so what brought this on?  This problem
is beginning to get under my skin & upset me.  Amanda, up till about 2 years
ago was stable, and worked well if my tape drive did.  Now, frankly, its
turning into a PIMA.  Has anyone an idea what keeps doing this to me?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
                -- Walt Kelly