Amanda-Users

Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##

2008-05-28 15:40:03
Subject: Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:33:48 -0700

  --received from Dustin J. Mitchell--

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Paul Yeatman
> <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu> wrote:
> > So then I recompiled the client for both --with-bsdudp-security and
> > --with-bsdtcp-security and loaded both plists.  The server was still
> > unable to connect in any way to the client.
> >
> > Then I realized the problem was with my Red Hat Enterprise amanda
> > server which uses its stable albeit older version (2.4.4p3) of AMANDA
> > and one which does not use the new bsdtcp authentication.  So, I then
> > went about recompiling AMANDA on the server side as well using the
> > latest 2.6.0p1 version compiling with both --with-bsdudp-security and
> > --with-bsdtcp-security.  I wanted to leave both options open but
> > possibly it is conflicting to use both.
>
> Nope -- they can coexist with no problem.
>
> > I'm still not sure on this.  I
> > still could make no connection with the client.  So then I recompiled
> > the server to use only bsdtcp authentication and I could FINALLY
> > connect with the client yet with the following error message
> >
> >        "client configured for auth=bsdudp while server requested 'bsd'"
>
> This is the key.  You'll need to add
>   auth "bsdtcp"
> to the dumptypes you're using (probably easiest to just add it to the
> global dumptype).

Okay, I have added this.

I have not been able to make the connection work between server and
client without having compiled the client for both bsdtcp AND bsdudp
security.  If I use bsdtcp alone, the server never connects to the
client.  If I add the 'auth "bsdtcp" to the dumptypes file on the
server, recompile the client for both bsdudp and bsdtcp and load both
plist files on the client (bsdudp only because I have to), things
connect but I get

ERROR: cass74: [client configured for auth=bsdudp while server requested 'BSD']
ERROR: cass74: [client configured for auth=bsdudp while server requested
'bsdtcp']
ERROR: cass74: [client configured for auth=bsdudp while server requested
'bsdtcp']
ERROR: cass74: [client configured for auth=bsdudp while server requested
'bsdtcp']
ERROR: cass74: [client configured for auth=bsdudp while server requested
'bsdtcp']

Yes, all 5 messages.  Why does it think the client is "configured for
auth=bsdudp"?  I'm only compiling for bsdudp and also loading its plist
file because it won't connect at all without it.  I don't know how I
have "configured" the client for bsdudp, however.  Only made it a
possibility.

I'll attach the amandad log file from the client.

Paul