Amanda-Users

Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##

2008-05-15 18:05:43
Subject: Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Paul Yeatman" <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 17:54:15 -0400
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Paul Yeatman
<pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu> wrote:
>  I am familiar with most of this as I use AMANDA to back up several
>  Macs (all pre- Leopard).  The biggest difference I faced in creating a
>  client on specifically Leopard is that Leopard no longer has xinetd.
>  I had to quickly learn about building a plist for Mac's LaunchDaemon
>  service to allow the AMANDA server to connect to the client over the
>  internet.

There are plist files in contrib/macosx in the source distribution, by the way.

> This new twist went pretty well and the server is now
>  talking to the client yet, with an amcheck, I am getting
>
>        "ERROR: NAK maclaptop: user amanda from
>        amandaserver.ucsd.edu is not allowed to execute the service
>        noop: /Users/amanda/.amandahosts: owned by id 5000, should be
>        7"
>
> The AMANDA user on the client is uid 5000.  Why is it insisting on
> "7"?  And the even stranger part is that the "should be" uid can change
> for different amcheck executions.  It is often 7 but sometimes it is
> "134217735".  I've tried changing the uid of the .amandahosts file to
> be owned by uid 7 for the times it seems it to want it to be owned by 7
> and then I get
>
>        "ERROR: NAK cass74: user amanda from cass251.ucsd.edu is not
>        allowed to execute the service noop: cannot open
>        /Users/amanda/.amandahosts: Permission denied"
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Doug Kingston reported a different incarnation of what I believe to be
the same bug[1] -- please try amanda-2.6.0p1 and let us know if you
still see the problem.  You can probably also fix the problem by
removing any auth_debug directives from your config file.

Dustin

[1] http://marc.info/?t=120597209900007&r=1&w=2

--
Storage Software Engineer