Amanda-Users

Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##

2008-05-21 17:20:50
Subject: Re: .amandahosts owned by id ## should be ##
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:14:59 -0700
  --received from Dustin J. Mitchell--

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Paul Yeatman
> <pyeatman AT mamacass.ucsd DOT edu> wrote:
> >  I am familiar with most of this as I use AMANDA to back up several
> >  Macs (all pre- Leopard).  The biggest difference I faced in creating a
> >  client on specifically Leopard is that Leopard no longer has xinetd.
> >  I had to quickly learn about building a plist for Mac's LaunchDaemon
> >  service to allow the AMANDA server to connect to the client over the
> >  internet.
>
> There are plist files in contrib/macosx in the source distribution, by the
> way.

First off, thanks for the response and help!

Yes, I had seen a mention that this was "going to be" included in
future releases but couldn't find it in the 2.6.0 I had last downloaded.
I see it now in the 2.6.0p1.

I traded my plist files for the ones in contrib/macosx to be safe
although they were nearly identical to the files I created using the
online info which I think is also the source for these files.  I
originally put them in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ but, from another web
hit, I am not sure if the better choice is in
~amanda/Library/LaunchDaemons.  Being in /Library/Laun..., they are
owned by root and withing plist file refer to user "amanda" and group
"wheel".  Also, it seems that if "launchctl unload /Librar..." (to
unload the old files) and "launchctl unload /Librar..." (to load the
new ones) is the correct way to restart the service, this didn't
resolve anything.

( On a complete side note: I tried using svn to get 2.6.0p1 which
worked fine but, having never worked with this before, soon discovered
there was no configure nor Makefile.in files.  I got the impression I
needed to run autogen which failed.  This is a completely separate
issue/point, however.  I ended up ulitmately grabbing the tar.gz file
from zamanda)

> > This new twist went pretty well and the server is now
> >  talking to the client yet, with an amcheck, I am getting
> >
> >        "ERROR: NAK maclaptop: user amanda from
> >        amandaserver.ucsd.edu is not allowed to execute the service
> >        noop: /Users/amanda/.amandahosts: owned by id 5000, should be
> >        7"
> >
> > The AMANDA user on the client is uid 5000.  Why is it insisting on
> > "7"?  And the even stranger part is that the "should be" uid can change
> > for different amcheck executions.  It is often 7 but sometimes it is
> > "134217735".  I've tried changing the uid of the .amandahosts file to
> > be owned by uid 7 for the times it seems it to want it to be owned by 7
> > and then I get
> >
> >        "ERROR: NAK cass74: user amanda from cass251.ucsd.edu is not
> >        allowed to execute the service noop: cannot open
> >        /Users/amanda/.amandahosts: Permission denied"
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Doug Kingston reported a different incarnation of what I believe to be
> the same bug[1] -- please try amanda-2.6.0p1 and let us know if you
> still see the problem.  You can probably also fix the problem by
> removing any auth_debug directives from your config file.

I compiled 2.6.0p1 and installed it yet continue to get the same
result:  often 7 but sometimes "134217735".

I'm not versed enough with "auth_debug directives" to understand your
alterior suggestion.  I'm supposing you are speaking of the server-side
config file for this AMANDA config and don't have any "auth" lines in this

$ grep -i auth laptops/amanda.conf
$

Thanks again!

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu