Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda encryption

2008-01-04 17:17:54
Subject: Re: Amanda encryption
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:05:09 -0500
On Friday 04 January 2008, Paul Crittenden wrote:
>Well, since I have received no response on my enquiry, I am assuming
>that either no one is using the encryption feature of amanda or I am the
>only one to have this issue.
>
>Because of the data I am trying to backup I have been charged with
>making encrypted backups. I was hoping that Amanda would do the trick
>since it is free but apparently not.
>
>I will have to look elsewhere I guess.

You posted this originally in the middle of the holidays, and its possible it
can be done by inter-spersing gpg in between the holding disk tarball, and
its eventual copying to the actual media itself.  Or at least that is how I
would try it if amanda does not directly support this now.

But some noise, as in this message and my reply, may now get some attention
from one of the developers now that the holidays are over, so stick around
for a few days yet.  I'm just a user myself, using virtual tapes on a big
hard drive here.

In the meantime, since you are on solaris, I expect you have the src's yet
that you built it from, so I'd look at the 'taper' section & see how it
works.  It might be quite easy.

This sounds like a buglet to pass to the aespipe author for resolution, have
you attempted that?

>I have done considerable research and can find no real answer for this.
>That same error message shows up towards the end of the amdump.1 file.

This is when compiling/installing amanda, or when actually running it setup as
the wiki page shows?

I also note that the page advises that it needs attention, so possibly one or
more of the steps described is incorrect?

I will see if I can set it up here, for one dle only, on linux.  This will
take a day or 2 though as I have other tasks on my schedule for the wee hours
Saturday morning that take precedence.

In the meantime, if anyone else or maybe Paul Bijnens whom I think did some of
this code, can step in and toss me a life preserver before I drown in my own
ignorance, it would be appreciated.

>Thanks for any help you can give.
>Paul Crittenden
>Computer Systems Manager
>Simpson College
>Phone: 515-961-1680
>Email: paul.crittenden AT simpson DOT edu

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Your analyst has you mixed up with another patient.  Don't believe a
thing he tells you.